Simply put, this is the best way of studying Physics that I know, and that I can recommend all of you. Does it require effort on your part? No doubt. And as I just figured out with 2D, this is so new to all of you that you will need some time to get used to it. Trust me, this will get better with practice, and after sometime, all you need is about 10 minutes to write down your own notes for a whole unit of study.
Why is this the best way of studying that I know?
Physics is largely a conceptual subject of study. It is neither based on the recount of facts (such as Biology) nor is it based on regurgitating a fixed set of problem solving techniques (such as Mathematics). Therefore the the best method of study is not memorization of facts (although you will need to memorize definitions and formulas) nor is it just drill and practice (although you do need to practice some questions, which is why we still do the tutorial questions). Most of your effort should be focused on understanding the concepts, and subsequently, recalling what you previously understood.
This is where writing your own notes come in. Writing (or typing) is a form of clarifying your own thoughts. You may think you understand something in your head, but unless you can write it down in words, you haven't really understood it at all. Not only that, your own notes would be a superior study guide compared to the lecture notes when it comes to revision. The reason being that it is more likely that you can understand and remember what you have written down with your own hand, compared to the lecture notes that was written by somebody else. Perhaps the best reason why writing your own notes is the best study method is that it is personalized and customized to suit you. Because you design your own notes, you describe your concepts in such a way which makes sense to you. Which is also why I strongly insist that writing notes has to be individual work, if you copy (or study from) somebody else's notes, it is only half as effective. PLEASE KEEP AND FILE ALL THE NOTES THAT YOU WRITE! THEY ARE VERY PRECIOUS RESOURCES FOR REVISION!!
Not to mention, learning how to write your own notes is an essential skill necessary for most university courses.
Why am I trying to convince you?
Writing your own notes needs the student to take responsibility for his/her own learning. That means that you really need to think through by yourself if you understand the concept being explained in the lecture notes, and to think about how to explain that concept in your own words (or diagrams). If you are too lazy to think for yourself, and resort to copying the lecture notes or copying somebody else's notes, then it defeats the purpose. I understand that you all (especially since you are not arts students) are not used to this process, which is why I will try to walk you guys through it at first.
I need you to trust me that this method of study will indeed help you. If you are unable to trust me this much, then I suggest we revert back to the "old" style of tutorials.
What happens when you don't prepare for tutorial?
I believe in treating all of you like adult learners, which means I expect you to take responsibility in your own learning. I believe in not treating you like children, which means I will not resort to fear, threats or scolding to make you do your work. Furthermore, it is vital that you do not copy for your notes, which is why I'd rather you have not done your work then copy from somebody else's work.
But what happens when you don't prepare for tutorial? You lose out. Just like if we do the tutorial the "old way" and you didn't do the tutorial, you can copy all the answers but you lose out because you haven't thought them through and struggled with the questions (which is where the real learning takes place, not when you get the answer). Similarly, for my lessons, if you have not done the preparation I've asked you to do, then you will do the preparation during my lesson itself while the rest of the class moves on. The process of making your own notes is the most important process of studying Physics, and I will insist that you do not skip that step, no matter how behind you are.
Why is this the best way of studying that I know?
Physics is largely a conceptual subject of study. It is neither based on the recount of facts (such as Biology) nor is it based on regurgitating a fixed set of problem solving techniques (such as Mathematics). Therefore the the best method of study is not memorization of facts (although you will need to memorize definitions and formulas) nor is it just drill and practice (although you do need to practice some questions, which is why we still do the tutorial questions). Most of your effort should be focused on understanding the concepts, and subsequently, recalling what you previously understood.
This is where writing your own notes come in. Writing (or typing) is a form of clarifying your own thoughts. You may think you understand something in your head, but unless you can write it down in words, you haven't really understood it at all. Not only that, your own notes would be a superior study guide compared to the lecture notes when it comes to revision. The reason being that it is more likely that you can understand and remember what you have written down with your own hand, compared to the lecture notes that was written by somebody else. Perhaps the best reason why writing your own notes is the best study method is that it is personalized and customized to suit you. Because you design your own notes, you describe your concepts in such a way which makes sense to you. Which is also why I strongly insist that writing notes has to be individual work, if you copy (or study from) somebody else's notes, it is only half as effective. PLEASE KEEP AND FILE ALL THE NOTES THAT YOU WRITE! THEY ARE VERY PRECIOUS RESOURCES FOR REVISION!!
Not to mention, learning how to write your own notes is an essential skill necessary for most university courses.
Why am I trying to convince you?
Writing your own notes needs the student to take responsibility for his/her own learning. That means that you really need to think through by yourself if you understand the concept being explained in the lecture notes, and to think about how to explain that concept in your own words (or diagrams). If you are too lazy to think for yourself, and resort to copying the lecture notes or copying somebody else's notes, then it defeats the purpose. I understand that you all (especially since you are not arts students) are not used to this process, which is why I will try to walk you guys through it at first.
I need you to trust me that this method of study will indeed help you. If you are unable to trust me this much, then I suggest we revert back to the "old" style of tutorials.
What happens when you don't prepare for tutorial?
I believe in treating all of you like adult learners, which means I expect you to take responsibility in your own learning. I believe in not treating you like children, which means I will not resort to fear, threats or scolding to make you do your work. Furthermore, it is vital that you do not copy for your notes, which is why I'd rather you have not done your work then copy from somebody else's work.
But what happens when you don't prepare for tutorial? You lose out. Just like if we do the tutorial the "old way" and you didn't do the tutorial, you can copy all the answers but you lose out because you haven't thought them through and struggled with the questions (which is where the real learning takes place, not when you get the answer). Similarly, for my lessons, if you have not done the preparation I've asked you to do, then you will do the preparation during my lesson itself while the rest of the class moves on. The process of making your own notes is the most important process of studying Physics, and I will insist that you do not skip that step, no matter how behind you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment